Pages

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Move More, Eat Less

Hello my Friend!

My 6 mile run the other day was FANTASTIC!  The day was beautiful, crisp and the energy flowed through the entire workout.  My smoothie hit the spot!  I have more energy than I've had in ages.  I almost can't believe it myself!

It has been 10 years since I have been able to pursue running. There was always a reason to put it off...first it was the family activities and errands, and then I started full-time work.  That was almost 5 years ago.  I have gained about 8 pounds per year working as a nurse.  It is a stressful job with odd hours. Every time I stepped on the scale I was a little surprised - and then I saw a photo of myself on vacation. Shock.  That was my moment.  This can't be me, and it won't be.

There was only one way to reclaim my health.
Move more, Eat less.

Simple, but not easy.
...But not impossible
3 months later I'm 12 pounds lighter, and I just ran 6 miles easily.

My key was to make many small decisions every day.
  • Small coffee
  • No second helpings
  • Snacked on fruit and nuts
  • Drank water instead of juice
  • Packed my lunch instead of buying it
Paying attention to the types of food in your diet is also critical.  Don't overpower your system with junk, and snack smart.


Other improvements:
  • Exercised 10-30 minutes 4 days a week.  This was sometimes just sit-ups or a short walk.
  • Spent 30 minutes outside every day
  • Made time every day for doing something I love
  • Reduced stress by saying with a smile, "No, but thanks for the offer!"
    Reducing stress was a big factor.  Cortisol is a stress hormone that promotes "belly fat" -  so to regain my figure I knew that I had to change my level of stress.  I changed my work hours to give me more time to balance my needs.  In a nutshell, I started taking care of ME.

    Your path to better health begins with each small decision.
    Try my guidelines to start your weight loss program.  I'd love to hear from you!

    Let me know how it goes!
    ~ Rose

    2 comments:

    1. Hi Rose!! Love this post--eager to hear more! I have lost 13.5 pounds since changing jobs and hope to have reached another milestone by Monday's weigh-in! Keep up the good work! Love ya! Pam (artofbeing-pamela.blogspot.com)

      ReplyDelete
    2. Wow Pam! That's fantastic! Change doesn't have to be stressful - it can be empowering! You have inspired me! ~ Rose

      ReplyDelete