Pages

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Lease on Life

Nutrition has given me a new lease on life!  When I finally started listening to my body and not anything else, my approach to food changed immediately.

It all started because I took a trip to the book store one day.  When I got home I held a book that was titled, "May All Be Fed" by John Robbins.  He was an extremist vegetarian exposing animal cruelty to me for the first time. This was work that I could not ignore - so I chose to become a vegetarian.

Redefining my diet was a gradual process of swapping out old recipes with new ones. There was definitely a learning curve because I was more actively creating my meals.  The time commitment for meal prep however, was no greater than my old diet. These foods were very different, but strangely satisfying. Then I realized that I no longer craved meat, or sugar!  Now that sounds crazy but it is true to this day.  When you truly nourish your body, you realize that you have traded up because you feel so much better.

I began to ask myself if feeling that sugar rush was worth the crash.  If the soda was even tasty, or if I was really enjoying that cereal.  Did I want to buy meat that was raised on an unnatural diet?  And did I feel right about eggs that have been mass produced by chickens stacked in cages?

No. No. No. No. And no.

 
We are under tremendous pressure to eat, eat and eat, with a side of guilt and a mug of brew to wash it down.  Our minds are inundated with false advertising.  Most of us know that the photographed foods we see in ads are so fake that they can last as long as a Twinkie.  Yet we associate these images with success, good times and desire.  Advertisers are experts at manipulation. So you need to ask yourself who is in charge.

How long have I been working at this? Well, I'm still crazy about healthy food and it has been over 20 years since I read that first book. I have received a "Master Nutrition Therapy" degree along the way.  Occasionally someone figures out that I know a fair bit about this topic and they will begin to ask questions.  Just the other day someone asked me if I had any ideas about what to make for dinner; they were just sick and tired of the same old thing.  My response, "Squash!!"  The look on her face - Priceless!  Oh come on!  Make some beautiful squash, a dark green salad, some rice and BBQ chicken. (baby steps right?) She dismissed me and said she could never eat that! Now really, what does she want?

Obviously she is not used to listening to her body.  Her need to please her spouse was much greater than taking care of herself.  Countless times I have met people who emphatically state that they just don't have the time to eat right.  And others who are convinced that we are carnivores. And others who just want to disagree. Don't forget the ones who just want to complain and have no real interest in change.

All I know is that these foods have changed my life, and I will continue to live what I know my body needs. I look younger that most people my age and I am more active, vital and happy too. You are the only person who will put food in your mouth, so what's it gonna be?


Listen

~ Rose



No comments:

Post a Comment